It is a common misconception when tending to plants, that the more water you give, the better. Overwatering can lead to waterlogged soil that over time results in root rot, fungus and plant and lawn disease.
• Understand your soil type
• Use good quality soil to ensure water is held effectively
• Understand how and when to supplement natural rainfall
• Install a professionally designed, easy to maintain irrigation system
• Remember that there just needs to be enough water in the ‘root zone’ in order for plants to stay healthy – water deeply but infrequently
• Water at the correct time of the day – early in the morning, or late in the evening
• Mulch beds with organic matter in order to retain moisture
• Be aware of the seasons – in rainy seasons, little to no watering is necessary.