Coastal gardens are usually prone to high winds, salty sea spray, sloping sites and hot, dry summers.
Managing coastal gardens:
- Create a windbreak with indigenous shrubs such as Chrysanthemoides, Blombos (Metalasia), Dune Crowberry (Searsia crenata), Cape Coastal Oak (Brachylaena discolor) or Brown Sage (Salvia fricana – lutea)
- Improve sandy soils by composting and mulching
- Cover soil with ground cover such as Sour Fig, Osteospermum, Gazania, Arctotis and Carpet Geranium
- Plant suitable shrubs like Scabiosa, Confetti bushes, Polygalas and Salvias
- Plant Proteas and Pincushions to brighten up winter gardens
- Plant Aloes and Restios to add contrast and to create focal lines.